After the fun and excitement of the wedding, we all started our vacation (or in Bobby and Ian’s case, their honeymoon). Our family gatherings were not yet complete, and on Sunday night we had one final family gathering at Cayo Hueso y Habana (formerly of El Maison de Pepe) to experience Mallory Square, and some good Cuban-style food. Sadly, due to the rain, the patio area was closed, and there was no dancing in the square (though we did see that later in the week).
Given that the vacation had started, the following are some of the highlights that I remember from throughout the week.
- Visiting 801 Bourbon Street for the 11:00 PM drag shows, mainly to see if Jonas was going to be onstage and undressed
- Wandering around Duval Street and watching the street theatrics occuring (note, this is NOT the same as street theatre)
- Boating in the Keys, especially the sand bar near Woman’s Key and Ballast Key (which is for sale for a mere $9.4 million)
- Lazing in the pool and staring up at the stars
- Pina Coladas by the pitcher 🙂
- Gary left us on Tuesday, I think regretting his decision to leave early. We did our best to keep him fresh in our minds, but the amount of alcohol consumed may have clouded those memories a little from time to time.
- The cookie birthday cake that Ian made for an early celebration on Friday night (given they were leaving at 4AM to head back to FLL
I’m sure there was a lot more, but these were the highlights as I thought about them just now. It was a very relaxing trip, and was probably the nicest we’ve done in a long time.
I’m sure others will post their thoughts and pictures, which will prompt many memories.